| MORRISON AND TAYLOR FAMILIES |
These families, with our own, mentioned in this memoir, were very closely connected in a friendly and social manner in our young manhood days; and it may not therefore be out of place to record briefly something of the life and achievements of the boys of these two families down through the subsequent years.
Hugh Morrison, eldest son of the Morrison family was born in Philadelphia Pa., in September 1838. He came with his parents to North Liberty, Mercer Co., Pa., about the year 1853-54, at this time he was of about the age of fifteen or sixteen. He did farm work on the farm of his father until about the year 1856, when he went to learn the carpenter trade with Gilbert Dunwoody of North Liberty. He continued in this occupation until within a year or so of the breaking out of the war for the Union in 1861. In the meantime (the writer has not the exact date) he married Miss. Martha McClimonds, (our step sister) who had inherited a farm lying not far from the village of Portersville Butler Co. Pa. They were living on this farm when the war broke. Mr. Morrison enlisted in Co. C. 100dth P. V. (Roundhead) Regiment, and was mustered in with the regiment August 31st. 1861, at Camp Wilkins Pittsburg Pa. On the 2nd. of September the Regiment was ordered to Washington D. C. whither it at once proceeded and upon its arrival encamped on Kalorama Heights.
On May 15th. Hugh Morrison was promoted from the ranks to Sergeant.
Leading his company as 1st. Sergeant at the battle of South Mountain September 14th. 1862, he was wounded, supposed mortally. The wound he received was perhaps one of the most remarkable from which to recover, during the war. The bullet, weighing nearly an ounce, struck him in the left eye, and passing through his head came out behind his left ear. He was laid out on the field of battle with the mortally wounded and dying, where he remained until the next day. The next day the surgeons still finding him alive, had him placed in an ambulance and driven to Washington D. C., forty miles over the rough roads, and was there carried into the Capitol building a part of which at that time was used for a hospital.
Very surprising and unexpectedly, Sergeant Morrison, after lying on the field of battle twenty four hours, and then driven in army ambulance forty miles to Washington, ten or twelve hours on the road, having received no special care from the surgeons because they considered his wound mortal, began to show signs of recovery and in eleven months he returned to active military service.
After his recovery he took a civil service examination was commissioned a second Lieutenant, and served until the close of the war. Leaving the army he returned to Butler Conty Pa., and entering politics was elected Treasurer of the County, administering the office in the years 1868 and 1869. Subsequently was appointed reading clerk in the Pennsylvania House of Representativies and served in this capacity during the sessions of 1874 and 1875.
In 1875 Mr. Morrison bought a farm in Nansemond County Va., and with his family occupied it for a period of ten years. He then came to Pittsburg Pa., and became interested with his brother John W. in the Photo Supply trade. In due course of time he bought out his brother and organized the firm of Hugh Morrison & Sons; at the time of his death in 1901 was president of the company.
Hugh Morrison was married twice; by his first wife he had two sons and tewo daughters. The sons were W. R. and R. A. Morrison of the present firm of Morrisons Sons, Sixth Street Pittsburg Pa., The daughters were Jennie M. and Bessie, (now Mrs. Smith). His first wife died in the seventies, and somewhat later he married Miss Josephine McKee, daughter of Hon. David McKee late of Grove City Pa., a great great grand daughter of the America Pioneer James McKee.
Mr. Morrison always took an active part in politics. Afte taking up his residence in Allegheny City Pa., he served three terms as councilman for the second ward. More than once, it is said, his friends tried to persuade him to become a candidiate for the office of mayor of the city but he always refused to permit his name to be brought forward.
Hugh Morrison lived and took an active part in one of the great eras of our countries history. He was possessed of a vigorous physical constitution, burning with patriotic zeal, with high ideal of life and right living, a kindly cordial genial disposition, and an undying constant friendship for his many friends.
Was the Second son of the Morrison family, was born in the city of Philadelphia Pa. about the year 1842. He was brought by his parents to the village of North Liberty, Mercer County, Pa. in the year 1853-54, at which time he was of about the age of twelve or thirteen. His time was taken up attending the village school, and during the interval between school terms was employed as a boy in the general country store of Dr. C. M. Stewart; was also for a time employed in the general country store of John Moore of Moore's Corners, a few miles westward of his village home.
In September 1857, when about sixteen, he left the village home of his parents and went to the city of Pittsburg to take a position as a clerk and general assistant, which had been offered him in the Photo Supply House of Mr. John Haworth, his brother-in-law. He was employed here at the breaking out of the war for the Union in 1861. He enlisted in Company E., 100dth., Penna. Volunteer Infantry, which later became known as the (Roundhead) Regiment. The membership of Co. E. was recruited in the region of Plain Grove Lawrence Co., Plain Grove being its focal center, and included many young men contemporary and friends of Mr. Morrison.
In the early eighties John W. Morrison entered political life ans was elected a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives and made Journal Clerk of the House. Later was elected chief clerk of the House. In 1891 was State Treasurer of Pennsylvania. In 1895 was appointed Depurty Commissioner of banking, which position he still holds at this date (1916).
Served as 1st. Lieutenant National Guard Pennsylvania. 1883-1886.
Served as Captain and A. D. C. on staff of General James H. Beaver, 1889-1890.
Elected Journal Clerk House of Representatives and served during the years 1885-1887.
Elected Chief Clerk House of Representatives and served through the years 1889-1891.
Elected State Treasurer of Pennsylvania November 1891, serving the office from May 1892 to May 1894.
Appointed Deputy Commissioner of Banking for the State of Pennsylvania in April 1895, and at this date (1916) still serving in that office.
Was the third son of the Morrison family and was born in Philadelphia Pa. about the year 1844-45 and with his parents came to the village of North Liberty. he remained at home with his parents, and in 1862 enlisted in the army in September and was assigned to Co., G., 100dth P. V. (Roundhead) Regiment and served until the end of the war.
At the close of the war he married Miss Mary Jane Taylor of the Taylor family and raised a family. He was the owner of a farm two or three miles east of Slippery Rock, Butler Co. Pa. where he lived until his death which occurred about the year 1911.
Mr. Morrison served on the board of trustees of the State Normal School of Slippery Rock Pa. He was highly respected in his community.
Dr. William Taylor, educated as a physician was the oldest of three sons of the Taylor family. He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence and acumen -- highly educated and well informed along general lines. He possessed quite an extensive private library which contained a number of volumes of rare interest.
When the writer first heard of Dr. Taylor in the early fifties (this was several years before he became personally acquainted) he was serving as auditor of the Pennsylvania R.R., a highly responsible position under the presidency of Thomas A. Scott, and had his residence in the city of Philadelphia Pa.
Dr. Taylor came as a visitor to the village of North Liberty to see his mother brothers and sisters as far back as 1851-52.
About 1859 he resigned his position with the Penna. R.R. and took up his residence in the village, and along with farming began the practice of medicine.
In 1862 Dr. Taylor enlisted in the Union Army and was assigned to Co., G., 100dth. P.V. (Roundhead) Regiment and was on active duty until 1864.
After his discharge from the army Dr. Taylor returned to Philadelphia Pa. and again beame identified with the Penna. R.R. and where he continued until his death which occurred about 1897.
He removed with his family from North Liberty to Philadelphia in the fall of 1865.