Biographical Profile: Pvt. George W. McGary, Company H, Pennsylvania Volunteers, 100th Regiment
Transcribed by Tami McConahy, 2nd great-grandniece of Corp. Thomas John Martin, Co. F. from "History of Lawrence County", Aaron L. Hazen, 1908.
History of Lawrence County, Pennsylvania by Aaron L. Hazen, 1908
George W. McGary, a veteran of the Civil War and a well-known resident of Neshannock Township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, is engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was born on his present farm May 15, 1837, and is a son of John and Margaret (Wallace) McGary, and a grandson of Robert McGary.
Robert McGary was born in Virginia, and at an early day located on a farm of 200 acres which he purchased in Neshannock Township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania. He was one of the first settlers of the vicinity, erected a log house and set about clearing his land. He lived there until his death. He was a soldier in the army during the War of 1812. His wife's maiden name was Dix.
John McGary, father of George W., was born on the home place in Neshannock Township, July 8, 1803, attended such schools as the community afforded in those pioneer days and aided in clearing the farm. He followed farming on that place throughout his entire life. He was a Democrat in politics and served as constable some years. He was united in marriage with Margaret Wallace, who was born in Plain Grove, and was a daughter of Robert Wallace. They became parents of twelve children, eleven of whom grew up, namely: Elizabeth, widow of James Glenn, lives on the farm settled by her grandfather; Lowry, deceased; Samuel, who on April 20, 1908, celebrated his Golden Wedding anniversary, an event which was attended by more than 150 congratulating friends; Mary, widow of Hugh Thompson, lives in Iowa; George W.; Nancy, who taught school many years and now resides in Chicago; Jule, wife of Thomas Chapin, of Neshannock Township; Rebecca; Maria, who lives with the subject of this sketch; James, of Nebraska, and Virginia, wife of Wylie Gibson, of Nebraska, are twins; and Margaret, the youngest of the family, died at the age of eighteen months. Mr. McGary died in 1875. He was an active member of the United Presbyterian Church, to which his wife also belonged.
George W. McGary was reared on the old home place and lived there until the Civil War. He enlisted in 1862 as a member of Company H, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served nine months. He then re-enlisted for a term of three years as a member of Company H, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was in many important engagements of the war, and was taken prisoner at Cold Harbor. He was incarcerated in Libby Prison at Richmond for six months and ten days, and then in Andersonville. After receiving an honorable discharge from the army he went out West for nine years, and then returned home and resumed farming operations. He is a man of energy and ability and has been more than ordinarily successful. He has ninety-seven acres, nearly all of which are under a high state of cultivation, and in 1885 he erected a fine residence of eight rooms, modern in all its appointments and improvements. Politically, he is a Democrat. He is a man of the highest type of citizenship, enterprising and progressive, and stands high in the esteem of his fellow men.
Back to Biographies Page