Page 53:  Sumary of letter by Col. Leasure regarding Battles of Bull Run and Ox Hill (Chantilly)

Page 55:  Death Announcement of James Albert Henry, Co. B, July 9, 1862; Summary of the Battle on Charleston (Secessionville), June 16, 1862; Rev. R. Audley Browne summary of the Roundheads wounded and Killed in S. Carolina from the Battle of Secessionville; Death Announcements of J. Calvin Sampson, Co. F and Alex Gordon, Co. K



The Roundheads.

 A private letter from Col. Leasure says that he lost out of his Regiment some 50 killed and 150 wounded. Lieut. Spence is dead. The body is expected to arrive to day. In addition to what is already given we have the following names: Charles Watson of New Castle, and Eben Morris of Croton killed. Wounded, Lieut. Curt, Lieut. Maxwell, Samuel Murry, D. Brown Corp. H. S. Gray, R. J. Graham, hand, J. Caldwell, hand, G. W. Wilson, shoulder,  J. B. Dushane, arm, S. S. Gaston, arm, H. Wimer, hand, J. P. Dunham, head, Capt. J. A. Cornelius, Lieut. R. B. Pass, J. C. Rose, arm, Dick Tenbrock, thigh, Jas. Marshall, arm, H. Applegate, J. Haevey, C. Smith, H. Book, Wm. Buckley, E. Powell, W. H. Rogers, J. C. Williams. This does not purport to be anything like a correct list. Col Leasures wound is severe but is not considered dangerous.  He is looked for home tomorrow, we have not received a list of the killed and wounded yet. We fear the regiment has suffered since as we learn that another fight was had near Fairfax Court House, in which Gens. Kearney and Stephens were both killed.




On Wednesday the 9th day of July, 1862, at Hilton Head, S. C., James Albert Henry, of New Wilmington, Lawrence county, in the 23d year of his age.

The subject of the above notice was a member of 100th Regiment, Pa. Volunteers, and of Co. B., Capt. M. M. Dawson, (now Major.) He cheerfully obeyed the summons to arms, believing it to be his Christian duty to aid in the defence of the country against here enemies. Not quite a year had yet elapsed since his enlistment when he was attacked by fever which terminated fatally at the time above stated, and just as his regiment was under marching orders for Virginia. Thus ended the military ad Christian career on earth of one of Pennsylvania’s patriot sons and Christian soldiers. Mr. Henry united with the Presbyterian Church of Neshannock in the spring of 1858. while he remained at home his conduct and character furnished satisfactory evidence of a genuine change of heart; and when in the army his religion was neither forsaken nor neglected. Major M. M. Dawson, in writing of his death says: “He was a good soldier, always ready for duty when called and well.” The Rev. R. A. Browne, chaplain of the regiment says; “I found him always in a pleasant frame of mind and always enjoying his religion, concerning which he always spoke freely and cheerfully.” He died ready, we have every reason to hope, for his Lord’s summons.



We copy from the New York Herald’s account the following details of the battle on James Island, near Charleston, on the 16th inst. Our troops fought desperately, but were repulsed with great loss. The assault upon the Fort seems to have been done by Gen Benham contrary to express orders from Gen. Hunter and the former was sent North under arrest by the Ericsson. It was a terrible penalty to pay for the blunders of any man. The Herald report says:

“The Tower Battery at Secessionville to which I alluded in my last letter, had for some days thrown its shells in unpleasant proximity to our camps, and a “reconnaissance in force” was ordered with a view, if possible, to gain possession of the work, shorten our line of pickets, secure safety to our camps, and complete a second step in our advance across the island. Three slender brigades, consisting of not more than six thousand men were thrown forward at daylight. They were repulsed, after a gallant and heroic fight of four hour’s duration. They came back to camp with companies and regiments frightfully decimated. In my best judgment over one hundred and fifty of our men were killed, nearly five hundred lie wounded in our hospitals, and there is besides a long list of missing, whose fate is yet conjectural. Of these many are known to have been killed outright, while scores of others were wounded and left upon the fatal field, to the tender mercies of the enemy – to languish in Southern jails to die in rebel hospitals, and to receive a coffinless burial from rebel hands.

The forces of Gen. Stevens were formed in perfect quiet at his outer pickets at 2 ˝ yesterday morning. The men fell promptly into line, having been at that hour first apprised of the movement they were to undertake. The morning was cold, and the entire sky was overcast with black, heavy clouds, so that in the darkness the task of maintaining silence and avoiding confusion was one of no little difficulty. We moved at half past four, no accident occurring to interrupt our progress. Col. Fenton’s brigade consisting of the 8th Michigan Volunteers, under Lieut. Col. Graves; the 7th Connecticut, under Col. Hawley, and the 28th Massachusetts, under Lieut. Col. Moore – was in the advance. – Col. Leasure’s brigade comprising the 79th Highlanders, under Lieut. Col. Morrison; the 100th Pennsylvania, under Major Leckey, and the 46th New York, Col. Rosa – was in support, together with Rockwell’s Connecticut Battery, Captain Sears company of Volunteer Engineers, and Capt. Sargeant’s company of Massachusetts cavalry.

A storming party consisting of two companies of the Eighth Michigan, led by Lieut. Lyons,  Aid-de-Camp to General Stevens, with a negro guide was in the extreme advance.

Our route lay over an extensive cotton field, or rather a succession of cotton fields separated from each other by hedges and ditches. The ground was broken by these ridges peculier to the plantations in this vicinity, and the passage over the uneven, billowy surface, marching as we were upon the “double quick” was excessively fatiguing; yet we moved forward very rapidly. Although our line was formed within rifle shot of the enemy’s pickets so quietly were the troops maneuvered that they were ignorant of it, and a rebel lieutenant and four privates were surprised and captured. – Orders had been given to move forward by the flank, regiment following regiment.  In no event were we to fire, but to press on and forward into line by regiments. When the enemy should open upon us, we were to use the bayonet on him and endeavor if possible to gain possession of the works.

These orders were faithfully executed. Reaching the open fields about a mile from the rebel fortifications, Fenton’s brigade was directed against the right, and Leasure’s against the left of the work. These two brigades now pushed forward with great rapidity, the regiments keeping within supporting distance of each other and the Michigan regiment keeping close to the storming party.

When within about four hundred yards of the fort a terrific fire of grape and canister was opened on our columns from the work, and from the woods, abattis and rifle pits on our right. Four heavy guns on the enemy’s parapet sent their murderous charges through the files of our brave men; masked batteries, of whose existence we had no knowledge, poured their terrible missles against us; sharp-shooters stationed all along the rebel line selected our officers for targets, and many a gallant leader fell at their first volley, while the men in the ranks dropped by scores. Still the Eighth Michigan, the Seventy-ninth Highlanders, the One Hundredth Pennsylvania, the Twenty eighth Massachusetts, (shouting their wild cry of “Faugh-a-Ballaugh” as they advanced.) and the portions of the Seventh Connecticut and forty-sixth New York, succeeded in reaching the abattis, and a portion of the storming party of the eight Michigan, led by captain Ely and Doyle, together with a party from the Highlanders led in person by their brave Lieut. Col. Morrison, mounted the parapet of the work.

Here lasted for a few moments the exciting scene my pen has ever attempted to describe. When the Highlanders heard of the terrible slaughter of the Eighth Michigan, with whom they had for many months been brigaded, they could not be restrained but advanced with the utmost promptness to the support of their old comrades. Colonel Morrison, whose horse was shot early in the action, led up his men on foot, shouting “Come on, Highlanders!” and with Lieutenant Lyons, of General Steven’s staff, was the first to scale the walls and mount the parapet of the fort. Both were wounded – Colonel Morrison in the head, the bullet entering at the temple and coming out behind the right ear, and Lieutenant Lyons severely in the arm. Captain Doyle, of the storming party, was severely wounded, and Captains Guild, Pratt and Church were killed.

It was while endeavoring to scale these works that Captain Hitchcock, of the 7th Connecticut, was also shot down. Nevertheless, the men went up, walking un-flinchingly into the jaws of death. But very few escaped, and those only with garments riddled with balls. Colonel Morrison, even after he was wounded, discharged the entire contents of his revolver at the force within, and had the satisfaction of killing one rebel as he was endeavoring to screen himself in one of the numerous “ratholes” with which the work abounded.

There was but one narrow opening in the line of abattis. So difficult of passage was this, and so galling was the storm of fire to which our men were expensed, that the order was reluctantly given to fall back and reform. The men were led with colors flying to the cover of a hedge about five hundred yards from the fort, where the remaining forces of the division were disposed. Two of Capt. Rockwell’s pieces, which had occupied a position in the rear, were now pushed forward to this hedge and opened upon the enemy, and his rifles – a little to the – maintained over the heads of our men a well directed fire upon the enemy’s left flack. Both these sections were gallantly and efficiently served, and produced a marked impression on the rebels.

“In the mean time, though the casualties had been frightful, both in nature and number, the troops of the division were in good order. Their confidence was still unshaken. Their courage was unbroken. Like veterans they waited for the word to charge. But at this juncture Col. Williams command, which had occupied a position on the left, from which they threw a galling fire across the marsh into the position of the enemy, were compelled in consequence of the falling of shells from our gunboats, to fall back, and thus the main attention of the enemy was given to the front. – Under these circumstances it was deemed useless waste of life further to protract the contest, and the order was given to withdraw the troops. This was done in the most admirable manner. Rockwell’s battery taking the lead, & the various regiments following in line of battle, with flags displayed.

The losses in Gen. Stevens’ division have been very heavy. Nearly 200 of the eighth Michigan (which also suffered severely at Port Royal Ferry and Wilmington Island, were) cut down, and of ten company commanders who went into the field, only two returned with their commands The 79th, whose gallantry at Bull Run we all remember, sustained a terrible list of casualties, as they accompanied the Michigan boys in the assault. The losses in the Twenty-eighth Massachusetts are also heavy. Captain L_wer being among the killed. Capt. E. S. Hitchcock, of the Seventh Connecticut, was stuck by a grape shot in the head, and another in the thigh, and instantly killed, nad Lieut Horton of the same regiment, was mortally wounded. Lieut. Setrol of the Forty sixth was also killed Many other officers in the second division were mowed down by the hellish storm, whose fury and whose terrible effect, during the thickist of the fight, no feeble rhetoric of mine can aid me to portray.”



Here is important information from Rev. R. A. Browne, Chaplain of our Regiment.

Rob. E. Reed, of Co. B., - Capt. DAWSONS – bullet wound through calf. In good spirits & doing well.

Caleb Joseph, of Co. B., leg amputated below the knee. Improving and very cheerful. Will do well.

Geo. W. Washbaugh, Co. G. slight wound in the top of head – might have been serious, but his case is rapidly improving.

Hugh Wilson of C. C. – Capt. Cornelius, has probably lost one eye. Is able to walk around. Head still somewhat swollen from discharge apparently of old glass from the enemy’s Howitzer.

Wm. Harlan, Co. C; - Capt. Bentley’s – a bullet through the knee, which very wonderfully seems to have gone through without fracturing any thing. He expects to be up and at them again in a few weeks.

John S. Barber of Plaingrove of Co. E. Flesh wound, bullet through the leg. Will be fit for service probably in a few weeks.

John S. Dick, Co. E. nephew of Hugh McLaren, similar wound.

John C. Moore, of Co. C., flesh wound – cut in shoulder, slight.

Henry H. Robison, of Co. I., son of late Sam’l R., Lowell, bruise from bomb-shell, left side, severe, but now mending very favorably.

Philip Wagner, wounded on the 10th in calf by bullet – doing very well.

Thos. Williams, of Co. M., severe bruise and lacerated wound, side and hand. The only dangerous case it is thought of the whole number. He belongs up the Monongahela river.

Charles Stansbury – A Sailor – Capt. Moores Co., severe wound in chest, mending.

_____ McKeever of Washington Co., Co. A. bullet wound on 3d inst through the lungs – able to walk around.

Wm. Claffy – same locality – bullet wound in the hand.

Dan’l Harpst, Co. F. flesh wound in arm – doing well.

The following are fever patients.

Wm. James McKee (son of Thos. J. McKee) Now afflicted with fever sores – otherwise apparently convalesing.

Fl_as Powell and Isaac Walters – both from same locality and Thos. Williams – neither of them dangerous.

George Hammond – In backward condition – reaumatism – not dangerous.

These are all of the 100 Regt. in hospital at Hilton. Our other wounded are able for duty or nearly so and remain in camp. I have visited them again prior to returning in the “Delaware” to Stono this evening. At Beaufort, John F. Miles is recently dead. We have a few sick there who have not yet been removed. I have not been there since my return to our regiment.

On Saturday morning, Sept. 27th 1862, at Judicary Square Hospital, Washington City, D. C. Captain James S. Van Gorder, of Company K 100th Regt P. V., Aged 24 years.

For several years Mr. Van Gorder had fondly cherished the purpose of qualifying himself for the Profession of the Law, and to that end, by his individual exertions and preserving industry, had acquired a good preparatory education. In the Spring of 1861, when our Country called for patriots in the field, it found him industriously engaged in the pursuit of his professional studies. He at once relinquished his long cherished project – sacrificed every consideration of self – thought only of his duty to his country – and entered zealously upon its performance. To the call for three months troops, he was among the first to respond by enrolling his name as a volunteer in the company under the command of Captain Leasure, where he served faithfully as a private until the company was duly mustered out of service. And then when Col. Leasure commenced raising the celebrated Round Head Regiment, he again promptly tendered his services; and after having contributed largely by his exertions, to the raising of a company, when upon its organization there were likely to be disappointed aspirants he at once relinquished all claims to office, and entered its ranks as a private. The Colonel, well knowing his courage, capacity and fidelity, immediately promoted him from this position to the rank of Captain, with authority to raise a new company for the Regiment, which, with the assistance of his subordinate officers he soon accomplished. This office he continued to fill with honor and distinction in al the varied services and trials of that regiment, until the evening of the 29th of August last, when he was mortally wounded while on duty at his post in the hottest of the contest, (after fighting heroically all day,) in that sanguinary battle of Bull’s Run. When wounded he declined the proffered assistance of his comrades to bear him from the field – saying, their services were more needed in the battle which was still fiercely raging. While in the hospital he endured his sufferings patiently and without a murmur and when a friend communicated to him the fact, that the surgeons had given up all hope of his recovery, he received the message with calmness and resignation – saying “he was not afraid to die,” that “doubtless he had done many things which he ought not to have done, and left undone many things which he ought to have done, but they were errors of the head not of the heart.”  He died as he lived – an honest man, a brave soldier, and a devoted christian. And though dead, he will continue to live in the memory of all his friends and acquaintances, as he lived heretofore in their hearts and affections.

It was my fortune and pleasure to have been personally and intimately acquainted with Captain Van Gorder, and my relations with him were of such a character as enabled me to form a correct estimate of the man, and to appreciate his many estimable qualities – prominent among these were a constant and uniform kindness, gentleness, and affability – an uncompromising sense of duty – an unyielding integrity – a sprit of generous forbearance and benevolence – a truthfulness that knew no dissimulation – a frankness and sincerity which rendered concealment or disguise absolutely impossible.

These were among the many noble characteristics that endeared him to all who knew him for

“None knew him, but to love him,

None named him, but to praise.”



On the 18th of June ult., J. CALVIN SAMPSON, son of Irwin Sampson, Esq., of Wilmington, Lawrence county, Pa.

The subject of this brief notice is to be added to that long list of noble young men whose lives have been offered on the altar of their country. On the 27th of August, 1861, he enlisted in the 100th (Roundhead) Regiment, P. V., under Capt. Cline, of Princeton. On the 3d of June he was taken prisoner at James Island, near Charleston, S. C., and conveyed to Columbia, where, at the time above stated, he died of typhoid fever. – We simply notice, further, that he was reared by parents who are consistent members of the U. P. church; and himself, for some time a student of Westminster College, was a young man of blameless life. At the age of 18, full patriotic ardor, left an attractive home, to battle for the right against the existing rebellion. – United Presbyterian.



Alex. Gordon, of Co. K., Roundhead Regt. died in the hospital, a day or two since. He was wounded in the battle of Bull Run. His remains are to be interred with military honors, at half past two o’clock to-day.

Back to Newspaper Scrapbook Page