Page 64: Official Report of Col. Leasure, Commanding First Brigade Steven's Division, from Bull Run August 29, 1862; Official Report; Official Reports of Lt. Col. David Leckey, Commanding 100th PVI, from South Mountain and Antietam, MD; 100th PVI Casualty list for Battles of Bull Run (2nd) VA, Chantilly (Ox Hill), VA and South Moutain, MD; Sept. 5, 1862 Letter from Rev. Browne to his wife; Sept. 5, 1862 account of wounded from J.S. Taggert; Sept. 6, 1862 Death Announcement of John F. Clark by Roundhead with initials S.J.C.; Aug. 18, 1862 Death Announcement of William R. Somers, who died of his wounds suffered in Battle of Secessionville; Letter from Rev. Browne





Sept. 1, 1862.

 General: I take the earliest moment available to report briefly the part my command took in the operations of Friday, 29th ult. After bivouacking on the old battle ground of “Bull Run,” on the night of the 28th, the First Brigade accompanied the remainder of your Division in advance of the column of Gen. Reno, of which command it formed a part and about 10 o’clock A. M., arrived in front of the enemy, strongly posted in the woods and on the heights about three or four miles from Centreville. As you are aware your command was separated, each brigade being ordered to report to some other commander. My own brigade was ordered to report to Gen. Siegle on the left; you yourself and staff accompanied me, remarking that the First would be the “fighting brigade that day.” Previous to resuming the march in the morning, Lieutenant-Colonel Gerhart and five companies of the Forty-sixth New York volunteers were ordered to remain behind to guard the trains, leaving me only the One hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteers, (“Roundheads,”) and the remaining five companies of the Forty-sixth New York Volunteers, the former under command of Lieutenant-Colonel D. A. Leckey, amounting to four hundred rank and file, the latter under command of Col Rudolph Ross, numbering about one hundred and fifty rank and file.

About eleven o’clock A. M., the enemy’s skirmishers advanced near to and fired upon a house at the head of our column, occupied as a field hospital at the time. Immediately Lieutenant Benjamin’s (regular) Battery took position n the eminence at the head of the Infantry column, and by your orders I disposed my command to support the battery. Pending these dispositions, the enemy’s sharpshooters took a position in a cornfield in the valley in front of us, where, covered by three batteries of 20 guns, they annoyed the artillerists of our battery and threatened to destroy the gunners and horses. Pursuant to your orders I sent three companies of the “Roundheads,” viz: A, (Templeton) B, (Oliver,) and D, (Lieut. Calhoun,) to dislodge them. They advanced on a run, and deploying as they went, on reaching the edge of the cornfield threw themselves upon the ground each man taking charge of the space between two corn rows and a few minutes sufficed to clear the field of the enemy; but our skirmishers held their position, and kept the enemy’s sharpshooters at a long distance from Lieut. Benjamin, so that he was disembarrassed entirely of their fire. The enemy now raided grape and shells amongst the corn to drive us out, but the men held their position staunchly, and kept up a galling fire upon all who came within range of their pieces.

Meanwhile, the unequal fight between Benjamin with his twenty pound rifled guns, and the enemy’s twenty guns, raged furiously. You yourself having been present, I need not speak of the conduct of Lieut Benjamin and his artillerists further than to state that his coolness and intrepidity, most ably seconded by his officers and men were the admiration of the troops in support, and inspired them with a determination to stand by him to the bitter end. How well the stood in the midst of that iron hail none know better than yourself who shared the perils of those long hours with your first brigade. At one stage of the fight, Lieut. Benjamin resorted that he lacked a certain kind of ammunition, which was in a caisson that lay overturned in the advance and directly under the guns of the enemy’s batteries. You asked me if I cold bring it off, and I sent the gallant and chivalrous Captain Brown of Co. G One Hundredth Regiment, P. V., with his company to get it off, and in a few minutes they returned, bringing with them the much needed caisson. I mention this incident now, because events later in the day will cause both you and me to remember this daring feat of Capt. Brown, who we both so loved and trusted, with feelings of unmingled admiration. So quickly did he perform this duty that he lost none of his little band of heroes.

At length, after three hours of the unequal fight, his ammunition expended, one of his buns bursted, and his numbers reduced by casualties to barely enough gunners to man one gun, and they utterly exhausted, Benjamin retired with his battery and by your order, I held the position, hoping for another battery, until our right wing, being repulsed by the reinforcements of Lee and Longstreet which we saw coming into the woods on our left, by order of Gen. Schenck, you gave the order to fall back. I then dispatched my Aid Lieut. Gilliland; to call off my skirmishers, which was done in gallant style by that officer, under the combined fire of one of the enemy’s batteries, and his now advancing skirmishers.

You then ordered me to the heights on our right, to support Capt. Raumier’s Connecticut batteries of three-inch steel guns, who, without any infantry support at all, was carrying on a most successful contest with two batteries of the enemy; which commanded the position of Millroy and Kearney on our extreme right, where they waged an unequal contest with the fresh troops we had observed from our former position entering the woods against them.

At half past five P. M., I received your order to go to the relief of Gen. Kearney, and in half an hour reached the edge of the cover, where the enemy lay in great numbers, and being met by Gen. Kearney, he explained to you the position of the enemy, and ordered that they ‘form a line of battle, and charge through the woods, sweeping everything before us.” The line of battle was formed as directed, and I deployed Companies A, (Templeton,) and B, (Oliver) of One-hundredth Regiment, P. V., as skirmishers, with orders to advance fifty paces in front of the line; but, with instructions not to fire upon the enemy’s skirmishers, but drive them before them, until they came close upon their first line of battle, when they should deliver their fire, and fall upon their laces while the line fired over them and advanced to the charge. Accordingly, the lines advance receiving the enemy’s fire, which already told severely upon it till our skirmishers encountered the enemy’s first line, when they fired as ordered, and fell upon their laces. At the same moment, the whole line caught a view of the enemy’s line, about sixty paces in front, and halted, delivering a volley that told with terrible effect upon their disordered ranks, and drove them back.

I now rode to the front, and discovered that a short distance in front of my line there was an old railroad track sunk some four or five feet below the surface of the ground, and I pushed my men forward into it, using the further bank as a breast work, behind which the men found partial shelter. For a few minutes the enemy seemed stunned, and their fire slackened, and if at this moment the other Brigades of your Division had been at your command, the day would have been ours. But our support on the left and rear was only thin air, and the enemy rallied and came in on us, in several supporting lines, more than ten times our number, and also were about to flank us on the left. You then told me to save my command by falling back, and almost at the same instant your horse being shot under you, you, at my earnest entreaties, retired to the rear, where you awaited my return to assist me in reforming my troops. Just then, my own horse was shot, and before I could dismount, I received a gunshot wound in the left leg, but finding the bone not broken, I dismounted and gave my horse to Lieutenant Leasure, my Acting Assistant Adjutant General, whose horse was also wounded, and he himself, too, wounded, with instructions to get him to the rear to save some papers and other things in my saddle-bags, that I did not wish to fall into the hands of the enemy.

I now returned to the railroad track, and found the first line of the enemy’s first line within twenty paces of it, and my men fixing bayonets to meet the unequal charge. I immediately ordered them to fall back rapidly, and re-form on their colors at the edge of the woods, which was done. In falling back my leg gave under me, and I was in imminent danger of falling a prisoner into the hands of the enemy, when my aid, Lieut. J. H. Gilliland, dashed up to me, and dismounting, assisted me to mount his horse and brought me safely off the field. On arriving at the edge of the woods, the now very small command rallied on the colors and held the front, and here we found Gen. Reno coming to our assistance with heavy reinforcements, which he had collected as rapidly as possible, but too late to save the fortune of the fight, and approaching darkness made further advances impolitic.

I cannot speak too highly of the daring gallantry of my troops, nor need I, for all transpired under your own eye, and you and I and all of them knew that when we charged through that cover, we would encounter many times our own numbers.

Early in the fight Col. Rosa, of the Forty-sixth New York volunteers, was severely wounded in the thigh, while nobly encouraging his little battalion forward. There being no field officer present after his retirement, and the command being altogether accustomed to receive orders in the German language, it labored under much disadvantage, but still fought bravely to the last. One of its best captains (I have not his name) and one of the lieutenants, and a large number of its men, were left dead on the field, and many were more or less severely wounded; but until the official list is furnished me I cannot do full justice to that command.

Of the One Hundredth Regiment P. V. (“Roundheads”), I have the painful announcement to make that Capt. Templeton, of Company A, and Capt. Brown, of Company G, are killed, as are also Lieut. Spence, of Company K, and Lieut. Raysen, of Company G. Capt. Van Gorder, of Company K, has a most dangerous wound of the left arm and shoulder. Capt. Oliver, of Company B, is wounded in the leg. Lieut. Blair, of Company I; and Curt. Of Company G; Potter (in command), of Company F, and many of the best men, company officers and privates, are either killed or wounded. Major M. M. Dawson, of the One Hundredth P. V. was badly wounded in the hand by the explosion of a shell in the fight of the morning. But in the absence of any official return it is impossible for me to enter into details of casualties or furnish you a list of them at present; suffice it that out of five hundred and fifty bayonets that I led on that day, not more than two hundred could be found to rally to their colors at dark. Most of the remainder have received injuries, though I think the greatest part are but slight.

In the artillery duel of the morning my mounted orderly, Henry Burmaster, of the Third Indiana Cavalry, was severely wounded while receiving an order from me.

My thanks are due to Lieut. Leasure, A. A. A., General, and Lieut. Joseph H. Gilliland, of company K, One Hundredth Regiment, P. V., my acting aide-de-camp for efficient assistance. Dr. Ludington, surgeon, and Dr. Shurlock, assistant surgeon, of the One Hundredth Regiment, P. V., deserve my thanks for their coolness and promptness. They attended to all the wounded of the brigade, during the morning fight and were frequently under a severe fire in the discharge of their humane duties. Dr. Ludington’s horse was killed by a round shot while he was giving aid to the wounded gunners of Lieut. Benjamin’s battery. Such coolness and intrepidity on the part of the surgeons, merits special notice. The commandants of the regiments, Colonel Rosa, of the Forty-sixth New York, and Lieut. Col. Leckey, of the one Hundredth P. V., deserve my thanks for their coolness and promptness, and to each individual officer and man whom I led that day, if it were possible, I would desire you to tender my congratulations, in my own compulsory, and I hope, temporary absence from the command. After remaining with the troops until the bivouacked for the night, the pain of my wound admonished me of the necessity of seeking professional assistance, and I turned over the command of the brigade to Lieut. Col. Leckey, the senior officer present.

Very respectfully,

Your most obedient servant,

DANIEL LEASURE, Col, 100th Regt.,

P. V. Commanding First Brigade, Steven’s Division Ninth Army Corps.

To Brig. Gen. ISAAC I. STEVENS, commanding Division.





PLEASANT VALLEY, MD. Sept., 16th, 1862.


I have the honor to report the movements of the One Hundredth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, under my command, in the action of the 14th inst.

After leaving camp on the morning of the 14th inst. And marching some two miles, we were ordered to the front, along the Hagerstown Pike to a point designated “Red Barn” to feel the enemy’s strength; we advanced under a brisk fire of shell and canister from one of his batteries posted on a hill in front of us, to the position assigned us, without discovering anything further of his strength. After remaining perhaps an hour, we were ordered to fall back, which we did, (in good order) to a brick house in the hollow, with the loss of one man severely wounded. I then formed the Regiment, and, according to orders, marched up a lane to the left of the Hagerstown pike, to take my position in the Brigade; but, as some time was occupied in collecting my skirmishers, the First Brigade (Col. Christ Commanding) came up, throwing me in the rear of the Division, behind the Michigan Eighth, halted a short distance up the mountain. While in this position, some confusion occurred by the retreat of a battery in our advance; (the caissons of which ran over two of my men, thereby injuring them severely; but the mistake was soon rectified, and the regiment formed on the right of the road immediately opposite our old position where we awaited orders. Lieut. Brackett, Acting Aid de Camp, then came up with an order from Brig. Gen. Wilcox Commanding the Division to advance on the left to the support of Gen. Cox. We immediately took up the line of march, and proceeded about half a mile, when we were ordered to “about face,” and return to Gen. Wilcox, which we did, meeting the General at the moment. He marched us some 200 yards to the right, where we were ordered to lie down and rest, as the men was much fatigued by their march. We lay here under an occasional fire of grape and canister from the enemy’s battery for about three hours; we were then ordered to take up a position, the left to rest near the road immediately to the right of our old position; and also to form the third column in the charge upon the enemy. We were then ordered to move forward through a dense thicket of underbrush and fallen trees; when we emerged from this thicket, we discovered the 45th Penna. Regt. immediately in our advance under a severe fire, I immediately gave the order “quick march!” and I must say in justice to the officers and men of the 100th Regiment, that not a man flinched, nor was there a waver in the line. We moved on in this direction, until we arrived in the woods, when I discovered that my men could not fire, without endangering the lives of some of the 45th Penna. Regt. I moved my men up by the left flank to an open space on their (45th,) left when I faced to the front, and ordered my men to fire, which they did with terrible effect on the enemy. We remained in this position firing for perhaps an hour and a half, when I discovered that the enemy were retreating, followed by the 17th Michigan, 45th and 100th Penna. Regts. At this moment I received an order from the Colonel Commanding the Brigade, to form my regiment, and collect my dead and wounded, which I immediately did.

Allow me to say, in justice to all the men engaged, that they did their duty nobly, and deserve the lasting gratitude of their country.

I am respectfully,

Your most obedient servant,


Lieut. Col. Commanding.


            Col. Com’dg. 2d. Brigade 1st Division, 9th Army Corps.



Near Antietam Creek, Md., Sept. 19th, 1862.


I have the honor to report the movements of the 100th Regt. P. V. under my command in the action of the 17th, of Sept. 1862, near Sharpsburg, Maryland.

On the morning of the 17th inst. I received orders to fall in the rear of the 45th Regt. P. V. and moved from our camp, on Pleasant Valley, toward Antietam Creek, where we arrived about 5 o’cl’k P. M. and were ordered to take the front, and deploy as skirmishers, and move forward to dislodge a portion of the enemy’s sharpshooters. We advanced up, and over, the west side of the hill bordering the creek, and under heavy fire of grape and shell from the enemy’s guns posted on the hill in our front. After advancing about five hundred yards, the enemy opened a heavy fire of musketry, in connection with grape and shell; we were then ordered to lay down, and pick off the enemy posted behind a stone fence; we held this position for some twenty minutes, when the 45th Regt. Penna.Vol. charged through our lines, taking all our right wing with them, which caused some temporary confusion. I immediately formed the left wing and held it in readiness for any movement that might be ordered. About half past six P. M. I discovered that we were being flanked on the left, and immediately moved in that direction, but receiving orders to fall back in our old position, I immediately did so (in good order,) where I found the Adjutant had the large portion of the right wing formed. I then formed the regiment, got my boxes full of ammunition, and ordered my men to lie down on their arms.

On the morning of the 18th we were ordered to take a position on the right of the road leading to Sharpsburg, where we lay until six o’clock P. M. of the same day, when we moved to our present camp. Our casualties are few as far as can be ascertained being seven wounded and one missing.

I cannot close this report without again expressing my sincere thanks to the officers and men under my command, for the manner in which they behaved, and my lasting gratitude is hereby tendered hoping they may always sustain their well earned reputation, unsullied.

I am very respectfully, your most obedient servant.


Lieut. Col. Commanding 100th Regt.

Penna. Volunteers:


Col. Com’dg. 2d Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Army Corps.



Killed and wounded in the four day’s battle of August 29th, 30th, 31st and 1st of September, 1862:

Col. D Leasure, in leg, seriously; Maj Matthew M Dawson, slightly; S G Leasure, slightly; W T Templeton, killed; C Heer, killed; W Gray, seriously; J M Aiken, slightly; J H Templeton, slightly; L Haager, slightly; B B Russel, seriously; J C Eckles, missing; J McCullough, missing;  M Dewine, wounded, prisoner.

Co B, Capt W C Oliver, slightly; J Elliott, seriously; A J Morrison, slightly; J Vanhorn, seriously; D Anderson, seriously; D Ward, seriously; R Burns, slightly; J Black, slightly; M B Coyle  W H Swagger, slightly; J Cole, slightly; J Ream, dangerously; J Young, missing;

Co C, Capt J E Cornelius, severely; G W Fisher, slightly; H D Guy, severely; E H Wilson, killed; F H Kirker, killed; H D Campbell, killed; M C Christy, slightly; E J Bracken, slightly; S Murray, slightly; J C Marshall, slightly; J C Ross, slightly; J C Williams, do; S Stickle, leg, amputated; H McConnell, missing; H Silk, missing.

Co D, W F Grant, dangerously; since dead;  J Keifer, killed; A Cenefoss, seriously; Alfred McFarland, slightly; T J Powell, seriously; T Cook, slightly; R J Johnston, do; J Scott, do; W Stephenson, do; R D Dawson, do.

Co E, N Alexander, slightly; J W Bently, do; W R Gealey, seriously; H Book, arm amputated; S Moon, slightly; J W Harvey, do; N Offat, mortally; J A Boyles, slightly; D Emery, missing; S Gill, do; G Hends, slightly; John Lock, seriously; J Loudon, slightly; R Miles, do; H Womer do; R Russell, do; G MaGee, seriously; W H Rodgers, dangerously; C B Smith, slightly; D Studibaker, missing.

Co F, D Patton, seriously; S Stunkard, slightly; R G Graham, do; G Morrow, do; G Elder, seriously, since dead; J Dodd, slightly; S G McCreary, seriously, leg amputated; J A Carr, seriously.

Co G, Capt S H Brown, killed; T H Curt, dangerously; P P Rayne, dead; A J Jacobs, wounded; J J Grace, seriously; P Buckley, slightly; W R Buchanan, slightly; T Bestwick, slightly; W P Bland, missing; E Buckley, missing; W J Graham, wounded; W C Osburne, wounded; W Runkle, wounded; D Kane, wounded.

Co H, C P Watson, killed; R J Ross, seriously; W H Watson, in leg, seriously; H Applegate, in leg, J M Cannon, in leg; A Jones, Head; J F Lougacne, leg amputated, since dead; L Spragg, shoulder; R Ten Broek, in leg; P Tallheminer, missing.

Co I, J P Blair, seriously; S Richards, slightly; J P Scroggs, killed; J Kelly, killed; A Martin, slightly; J Best, morally, since dead; J Turk, mortally; D Donerivan, dangerously; T Taylor, slightly; J A Archibald, missing.

Co K, Capt. J S Van Gorder, seriously, since dead; E J R Spence, dangerously, since dead; E Bender, seriously; J S Du Shane, slightly; E Morris, missing; W Crawford, killed; W M McCallister, killed; T Swagger, killed; L Andrews, killed; *  J Gormley, wounded; T M’Cann, wounded; A Cooley, wounded; J P DuShane, wounded; H Brewster, wounded; G M’Kinley, wounded; G W Wilson, wounded; S Dickson, seriously, J G Macauley, left on the filed; J Miller, slightly; J Mosbrook, wounded, S S Gaston, wounded; J Caldwell, wounded; G W Boyles, wounded;  S Norris, missing.

 Co M, J L McFeeters, head; C L Powers, neck; C F Anderson, head; W B Abrahanes, Face; J W Bradely, elbow; J F Craighead, lew; John Cox, thigh; O W Elliott, killed; G w Healey, thigh; R Hopkins, arm; J R Moss, breast; B F McQuaid, slightly; J W McConnell, leg; E Powell, back; W Oliver, arm; S Stromp, face; J Saddler, leg; P Saddler, thigh; J West, foot; J F Kirkland; arm.

 We have since learned that Mr. Andrews is not dead but in the hospital. He was nine days before he got to the hospital. He writes home to his wife that he thinks he will recover.



Killed and wounded in the battle of South Mountain, near Middletown, Maryland, Sept. 14th 1862.

Company E 1st Lieut Samuel J Book, severely; 1st Lieut James W Montford, company A; slightly; Co. G 1st sargeant John W Crooks, seriously; Co H 1st sergeant Cyrus H. Rea, killed; Co C sergeant Hugh Morrison, seriously; Co K Richard P Craven, Regimental color bearer, slightly; Co A corp E Alvey, slightly; Co B Richard H Porter, Albert A Montgomery, wounded; Co E William McLaughlin, David Book, wounded

Co H James Marshall, slightly;

Co A, H C Odenbaugh, killed; William Saunders, killed; J C Pry, seriously, John Price, slightly; Andrew Thompson, slightly;

Co F, George McClaren, killed; James Young, killed; John Elder, wounded, since died; John McKee wounded;

Co B, James S More, wounded;

Co C, John C Miller, killed; A G Slater, killed; A M Wick, R Brown, John Wilson, John Evans, John Leary, George Slater, Miller Wright, wounded;

Co D, S C Stratton, John Cody, wounded;

Co E, David Lock, J W Hennin, R W Rodgers, wounded;

Co G, Charles Samson, wounded;

Co I, John Lockart, wounded;

Co K, Richard McChesney, slightly, Alex Gordon, slightly;

Co M, Martin Jordan, killed; W Oliver, Samuel McClure, Walter Collins, wounded.




MRS. M. E. BROWNE, NEW CASTLE. – Dear Wife: - Reno’s, Steven’s and Kearney’s divisions fought the battle of “Ox Hill” three miles this side of Centreville on Monday evening. We silenced the enemy, and so far checked his design to cut off the communication of our army with Washington, that with some loss of wagons, stores, etc. it succeeded in falling back, and is now within 6 or 8 miles, probably, of Washington.

In our battle of Monday, 1st, Gen. Stevens was killed. The last I saw of him was when he asked me to take back his son, col. S., who had just been wounded. As I returned to the field I met our wounded being carried off. It was now dark and there was a piteous rain. I saw the regiment which had just come back from its engaging the enemy and were being formed in line of battle anew. Gen. Kearney rode up and addressing me, inquired who we were and where was Col. (Lecky), and, when I had brought Col. L. to him, asked if we would support his battery just posted in an advanced position. The men answered with a cheer, and supported it amid the whistling balls till the enemy were driven off by the artillery and other divisions of infantry. I have since visited the battle field, and seen where the dead of our army lay in a corn field. They maintained the desperate struggle with the foe within a rod or two of each other. We gained the field, but did not hold it. The evacuation of Centreville, I presume, was necessity; and about 1 or 2 o’clock, A. M. our three divisions fell back, leaving their wounded in hospitals. I concluded with others, to remain and attend to the wounded, of whom we had about 150. Thirty-eight, I believe died before we left – which we did under a flag of truce about 6 o’clock last evening. We had to wait the arrival of our ambulances; they did not come till our provisions had run out and we were in a state of great destitution. On the 2d a regiment of cavalry, 1st Va., Col. Brien came in, also one of infantry. The former promised us rations on arrival of his own supply, but was ordered away without their arrival as was also the other. We had a beautiful night for the trip with our wounded – 23 or 24 white covered ambulances, wagons, drawn by 2 horses, persuing their way by midnight. We had to leave about 50 or 60 behind to be brought down to-day. We reached the general hospital at Alexandria, about 3 o’clock A. M. I lay down with a portion of the wounded on the floor, the more serious cases being sent to another hospital in which were spare beds. Previous to lying down we all had coffee and soft bread. Early this morning, after an hour’s sleep, I went to the other hospital – the Lyceum – where the other portion of our party were, including Clarke McCreary and Edwin Foster, and now, after seeing all, I am accompanying the party under conduct of a surgeon, among which are our other wounded of the 100th, to a hospital in Washington. Clarke and Edwin are neither of them in a dangerous way. I send with this a list of casualties of Monday 1st. I have already written to you of the 2d Bull Run battle – Friday and Saturday – and send a few records of our losses. I should have added to them the instant death of Charley Watson, but no doubt Col. L. has written and sent full details. My presence with the regimen has been so short since then I can tell you but little more, and especially amidst the present hurry. We will shortly be in Washington. – Here I will hunt up our regiment (also in the hospital, if I can, Col. Leasure and Capt. Van Gorder, of whom I have no later news.) Our regiment was a mile or two from Alexandria yesterday, and last night I was told marched to the Chain Bridge.

Through all this I am well, with many, many reasons for thankfulness to our kind Father in Heaven, that my life is spared and my health very good. Oh! The human suffering I have witnessed and especially while I waited with the wounded at Ox Hill, house of John Miller, it is beyond conception.



100th – killed and wounded in the action of Monday, September 1st, 1862, at Ox Hill:

W F Grant, D, mortally wounded

D Donivan, I, died Wednesday following

Jas Scroggs, instantly killed

Q Elliott, M, instantly killed

L F Sprague, H, in leg and arm

E Forker, K, flesh wound below the knee

Clarke M’Creary, F, same in calf

D Kane, G, lower abdomen

T J Powell, D, same, both expected to recover

J Scott, D, arm broke and flesh wound in hip

J Best, I, Flesh wound in arm

Wm Abraham, M, bullet through cheek extrac-                       From roof of mouth

J Carr, F, 2 bullet flesh wounds glancing on                        Bone of hip and knee

J Ream, B, eye shot out; doing well

S Stickler, F, leg broke below the knee and amputated; doing well

W M Watson, flesh wound in hip; doing well

Capt Cornelius, Lieut. Ross. Removed same night before I saw them, Not dangerous.


PHILADELPHIA, Sept 5th, 1862

FRIEND DRUBAN: - If you will give the following a place in your paper it will inform the friends of the Roundheads where some of the wounded are:

Jas. Caldwell and S. S. Gaston, West Philadelphia Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

T. Jona and Jas. Miller, Broad Street hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

G. W. Wilson and J. P. Dushane, Christian Street Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

Robert Graham and J. M. Cannon, Fifth Street Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

There are six of the 100th at the Delaware Hose House, South Street below Ninth. They are from Capt. Dawson and Capt. Brown’s Companies, but I do not know their names. – They are enjoying themselves hugely. The ladies toast and tea them at their houses. All of the wounded of the 100th are doing well and I have everything to make them comfortable. Col. Leasure has a very severe wound; he is not able to leave his bed. But hoping that the wounded may soon be well I remain.





On the 6th inst. John F. Clark in the 60th year of his age.

He was a member of the M. E. Church and also belonged to the 100 Regt. P. V. he died of the wound he received when the ship sunk when they were on their way back from South Carolina. He was a good soldier for his country and more than that he was a soldier of Christ. He has fought the good faith and finished his course and gone home to rest in Heaven. He left a great circle of friends and relatives to mourn his loss, but they don’t mourn as those who have no hope, for his walk and conversation told he was a good christian, he was prepared when the summons came to call him home, to say come welcome death then end of fears I am prepared to die, my dear friends you have my sympathies in your bereavement.

S. J. C.


In Charleston, S. C. on the 18th of August, 1862, from wounds received at the battle of James Island, William R. Somers of the 100th Regt. P. V. in the 35th year of his age.

Mr. Somers was taken prisoner in his wounded condition. The ball lodged under the cup of the knee, and the limb was no amputated, nor the ball extracted. – He was evidently the victim of gross neglect on the part of his captors. From the last few lines he wrote, just before his death his friends have the consolation of knowing that he died in the hope of a glorious future.


Letter From. Rev. Brown.

We have been permitted to copy the following extracts from a letter written by Rev. R. A. Browne, Chaplain of the Roundhead Regiment, to his family:

“To-day has been a memorable day in camp. As I was closing my 10 o’clock service and sermon I was interrupted with an order from Gen. Wilcox – to repair to his quarters. The result of the whole thing was that in half an hour four Chaplains of Wilcox’s Division and eight regiments, comprising about 4,000 men were assembled before the General’s quarters and held a Division service – in thanksgiving for our recent victories.

It was a spectacle delightful to behold. That worship of that great host. The Gener- was much pleased, and like a well bred gentleman did not fail to express his appreciation of the services, and thanks to us personally.

The sad news which reached camp a few days ago of the death of Capt. Van Gorder, is confirmed. You got the news perhaps sooner than we did, I heard it first on Wednesday through the medium of the Washington Star; and feared there was no possibility of doubting it. Capt. Bently now states that the body was sent home from Washington on Monday last. Tears, and very sad ones, are due from me over this great loss. Brave, hopeful, fresh and well equipped for the work and strife of life, just at the threshold of a bright career, he has fallen. How wonderfully God disappoints our plans.

Capt. Van Gorder, Ferris McMillen – good, modest, brave Ed Spence – all of Co. K – how many aching hearts are there over their vacant places?

What ravages has war made in our ranks! Over 200 killed, disabled or imprisoned by the enemy. Less than 500 in camp of the 1050 men of our original number. Only one Captain on duty – only one company that has the services of more than one commissioned officer. Two without any.

We have had prayer meeting now nearly every night for two weeks – or rather evening worship. Our evening meeting is delightful. A large number attend. Officers and men from other regiments seem to enjoy it very much. They step to introduce themselves and speak with me after the services are over.

Back to Newspaper Scrapbook Page