1910 Obituary of Jacob F. Masonhimer, "Uncle Jake", Company K's Cook and Commentary based on Pension Affadavit Letters

Thanks to Scott Lang, for contributing this information on his great great great uncle Jacob F. Masonhimer to the 100th Pennsylvania Website!

Obituary of Jacob F. Masonhimer

New Castle News, September 19, 1910


Jacob F. Masonhimer, Roundhead and Worthy Citizen, is Dead

     Friends in this city and in the surrounding territory of whom he had a great number will be grieved to learn of the death of Jacob F. Masonhimer, one of the best known men in the city, which occurred at the family residence, 37 Johnson Avenue, Saturday evening at 9:30 o'clock. Although he had bee ill for the past week, and his death was not unexpected, the shock has been a severe one to his family and friends. He was a man of rugged constitution, and was rarely ill even for a day. A week ago he suffered what proved to be the beginning of a general breakdown, and collapsed completely, suffering greatly during the last days of his life. Death came to relieve him from his pain at the time above stated.

     The deceased was one of the best known and highly esteemed old soldiers in the city, and had resided here more than half a century. He was 79 years of age, and was born in Manchester, MD., September 29, 1831.

     At the first call for troops, Mr. Masonhimer enlisted in Company K, of the 100th (Roundhead) regiment, P.V. I., on August 28, 1861. He served three years, and rendered his country faithful and and valliant service. Shortly after he enlisted, he was made company commissary, and retained this position throughout his term of service. He was injured at Baltimore, Md., when the 9th corps was moving from east to west. For a time he was taken with the regiment, but not being able to travel, was placed in the hospital at Camp Dennison, O. near Cinncinnati.

     Finally, it was decided that he was permanently injured, and he was discharged October 11, 1863.

     His comrades in the war considered him one of the most geneal and good natured men who ever lived, and he was justly popular on account of his happy disposition. He was ever ready to do a kindness. Of the younger members of the company he was especially careful and although little older than the others, was known to all the men in the company as "Uncle Jake".

     Mr. Masonhimer was twice married. His first wife, was Jane E. Topper, who died March 6, 1897. Eleven children blessed this marriage, six of whom survive. The are Mrs. William Ward of Johnson Avenue; Mrs. F. L. Rentz of Milton Street; Mrs. John R. Pearson, of Lathrop Street; this city; Mrs. James Rigby, of Tampa, Fla; Mrs. J.A. McIntyre, of Oskaloosa, Ia., and Mrs. Minnie Bauman, of Pittsburgh.

     His second wife was Martha J. Houk, to whom he was married Jan. 2, 1901 and who survives him.

     The funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, at the family residence, 37 Johnson avenue, and interment will be made in Savannah cemetery..

     The comrades of Post 100, G.A.R., will meet at their hall Tuesday at 1:30 sharp, to attend the funeral of comrade Jacob F. Masonhimer, late of Company K, Roundhead regiment.

     The members of the Roundhead regiment, the Union Veteran legion and all veterans are invited to attend.

R.G. Porter Post Commander.


Notes on Injury of Jacob Masonhimer from Pension Affadavit letters:

     His injury occurred on March 23, 1863 while the Roundheads were on the move at Locust Point, near Baltimore, MD. He was loading a barrel of pork or cooked rations onto a railcar. Another man that was assisting him with the barrel slipped, and the full weight and brunt of the barrel of pork smashed into Jacob's left hip and also caused a ruptured hernia when he attempted to push the barrel off. He stayed on the car until Parkersburg, WV where he and the rest of the Roundheads got onto a boat and went to Covington. When Jacob got off the boat, he was so lame from his injuries that his comrade Wm. Gordon carried his traps and helped him along to the cars at the station. They then railed to Lexington, KY where the Roundheads had orders to march. He could not walk and was taken to a hospital in Lexington in the company of Henry Bohlman who testified on Jacob's behalf as to witnessing the injury. Ultimately he was sent to a hospital at Camp Dennison, Ohio until his discharge on October 11, 1863.

Back to Biographies Page